Shadowbox® Academy’s Summer Boot Camp Auditions for 2014 are Now Closed
We hope that will try to join us next year. Please check back for updates and information.
A dynamic force in the Greater Columbus performing arts scene for over 20 years, Shadowbox Live® is the largest resident theater company in America, home to 45 full-time professional artists. From its very humble beginnings as squatters in a broken down warehouse, Shadowbox Live® now produces over 500 performances of 19 productions annually.
The latest and most rapidly developing program is the Shadowbox® Academy. Catering to high school and early college students with an expressed interest in the theater industry, the Academy’s mission is to share knowledge gained in performance to help students discover, cultivate, and apply their artistic abilities both onstage and off.
The Shadowbox® Academy
- Immerses students in a learning environment that emphasizes professionalism and theater practice more than theory.
- Encourages performers to master more than one artistic discipline.
- Offers disciplines that are directly inline with the Shadowbox Live experience: Rock Vocals , Sketch Comedy Acting, Dance Theatre, and Rock Instruments – (Guitar, Drums, Keys, etc).
- Provides instructors and directors who are all ACTIVE Shadowbox Live performers, each with over 1,000 performances of experience.
- Nurtures and promotes a broad and general creativity by teaching students to use innovative techniques to take their talents and passions to the next level.
- Structures rehearsals like performance workshops so students can gain “real life” experience as artists.
- Provides an actual performance experience in front of a real audience at the end of the three-week experience.
“I’ve learned more in these two weeks than I did in my 5 years of education. I’ve experienced an incredible transformation in myself as a performer and my intensity and passion for what I want to do. It has been a huge revelation.”
Dylan George – Boot Camp 2013
2014 Graduate of Wittenberg for Theatre
Summer Boot Camp Program
Inspired by its success with the STEM Rocks the Box project, Shadowbox Live® has implemented the Shadowbox® Academy Summer Bootcamp. The three-week arts intensive program will have both AM and PM Sessions. Each session will run for three hours each day, Monday through Thursday, with a combined five and a half hour session on Fridays. The purpose of the Bootcamp is to provide master class workshops in four performance disciplines: singing, dancing, acting and musicianship, as well as discussions of arts administration, production, ‘life skills’ and professionalism.
AM Sessions take place :
Mondays – Thursdays from 9:00a – 12:00p and Fridays 9:00a – 2:30p
PM Sessions take place :
Mondays – Thursdays from 1:00p – 4:00p and Fridays 9:00a – 2:30p
Please Note the final Friday or Saturday will be an all day tech and dress rehearsal followed by the final performance, so please expect a schedule from approximately 9am – 10pm
Participation by audition only at Shadowbox Live, 503 S. Front Street, Columbus OH.
Shadowbox® Academy Summer Boot Camp Auditions for 2014 are Now Closed
Jake Mendel’s Video Testimonial
Jake Mendel was among 12 students that comprised Shadowbox’s first Boot Camp class in 2010.
2 years later, he talks about his experience and how it has stayed with him ever since.
Criteria for Participants
Shadowbox Live® was founded on hard-work, passion and courage;the same characteristics that will be required and encouraged among our students.
Participants must :
- Be 15-21 years old
- Be passionate about the performing arts
- Possess a willingness to explore various ways to elevate his/her primary discipline
- Have an outstanding work ethic
- Take personal responsibility for growth and advancement
- Perform their primary discipline at a high artistic level
- Desire and give 100% commitment to any and all professional challenges
- Be interested in learning the realities of being a professional artist
Students will be required to fill out an application and participate in one of the three auditions in order to be considered for the program.
Teachers interested in the Professional Development Program please contact Stacie Boord at (614)554-1534 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
For the audition, we will assess everyone in all four areas (music, acting, vocals and dance.) We do not expect everyone to perform all of these disciplines well! We just ask that you try your best with the material given. Based on the audition, those of you accepted will be assigned majors or minors in the four disciplines so that instruction is commensurate with your level of ability.
If you have questions, please contact me directly at 614.554.1534 or via email at email@example.com
Through community and corporate support, The Boot Camp is able to set tuition costs at $1,000 per student.
Students may offset this cost in one of the following ways:
- Full Scholarship Awards
- Half Tuition/Half Scholarship Awards
- Half Scholarship Award /Half Work-Study
- Half Paid Tuition/Half Work-Study
Students can offset tuition costs and gain arts administration experience by working in the Shadowbox Live offices two hours a day, four days a week, in a 10-week program that will cover half the tuition cost. Based on an administrative assessment, students will be assigned a primary responsibility, and will also be required to participate in general housekeeping and maintenance tasks.
Shadowbox® Academy is currently securing scholarships from local businesses and individuals to be awarded based on both merit and financial need.
Educational Advisory Board
Dispatch Digital Media Group
Tanya A. Curtain
Director of Customer Experience
John A. DeSando, PhD
Raccoon Valley Partners LLC
Unified Arts Coordinator
Columbus City Schools
Assistant to the Director of Community Relations/Education, Shadowbox Live
Indigo Strategies LLC
Director of Programs
The PAST Foundation
The PAST Foundation
Teens take the stage at Shadowbox
By Richard Ades, ColumbusTheater.org • March 8, 2013
“Presented Monday, it was the latest edition of an annual show that gives students from local Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics high schools the chance to prove that they can cut up with the best of them.”