Accepting Applications Now!
A dynamic force in the Greater Columbus performing arts scene for over 20 years, Shadowbox Live® is the largest resident theatre company in America, home to over 50 full-time professional artists. From its very humble beginnings as squatters in an abandoned warehouse, Shadowbox Live® now produces 500 performances of over 16 productions annually.
For the past five years, massive efforts have gone into the implementation of an ambitious arts educational program.
The latest and most rapidly developing program is The Shadowbox® Academy. Catering to high school and early college students with an expressed interested in the theatre industry, the Academy’s mission is to share the knowledge gained in performance to help discover, cultivate, and apply their artistic abilities both onstage and off.
The Shadowbox® Academy
- Immerses students in a learning environment that emphasizes professionalism and theater practice more than theory.
- Encourages performers to master more than one artistic discipline.
- Offers disciplines that are directly inline with the Shadowbox Live® experience: Rock Vocals , Contemporary Acting and Comedy, Dance Theatre, and Rock Instruments – (Guitar, Drums, Keys, etc)
- Provides Shadowbox Live® instructors and directors who are all ACTIVE performers each with over 1,000 performances of experience.
- Nurtures and promotes creativity overall by teaching students to use innovative techniques to take their talents and passions to the next level
- Structures rehearsals like performance workshops so students can gain “real life” experience as artists.
Summer Boot Camp Program
Inspired by the massive success of the STEM Rocks the Box project, Shadowbox Live® has implemented The Shadowbox® Academy Summer Boot Camp. Each three-week arts intensive program runs for four hours each day Tuesday through Friday. The purpose of the Boot Camp is to provide master class workshops in four performance disciplines: singing, dancing, acting and musicianship, as well as facets of arts administration, production, ‘life skills’ and professionalism.
At the end of week 2, students jury in all four performance disciplines and are evaluated and cast accordingly by the instructors. The showcase takes place the final Friday of the program and has historically been presented to a sold out paying audience.
Session 1 : June 11 – June 28 • Session 2 : July 30 – August 16
Each Session takes place : Tuesdays – Thursdays from 12p – 4p and Fridays 9:30a – 2p
(In preparation for the Showcase, the final Monday of each session is also included)
Participation by audition only.
Audition Dates Announced!
Saturdays – March 9th, April 13th, and May 18th @ 2pm
The 2013 program will commence this summer with two sessions. Classes will be held Tuesdays-Thursdays from 12:00-4:00pm and Friday 9:30am-2:30pm(*Please note: In preparation of the showcase, students will attend rehearsals that Monday of the third week)
Session 1 – June 11-14 • June 18-21 • June *24-28
Session 2 – July 30-Aug 2 • Aug 6-9 • August *12-16
Criteria for Participants
Shadowbox Live® was founded on hard-work, passion and courage;
the same characteristics that will be required and encouraged among our students.
- Be between the ages 15-21
- Be passionate about the performing arts
- Possess a willingness to explore various ways to elevate his/her primary discipline
- Have an outstanding work ethic
- Take personal responsibility for growth and advancement
- Perform their primary discipline at a high artistic level
- Desire and give 100% commitment to any and all professional challenges
- Be interested in learning the realities of being a professional artist
Students will be required to fill out an application, submit a mentor recommendation and participate in one of the three auditions in order to be considered for the program.
For the audition, we will assess everyone in 4 areas: music, acting, vocals and dance. Students don’t need to be able to perform all of these disciplines well! We just ask they try their best with the material given.
Participants will need to prepare material for the evaluation…
- If you play a primary musical instrument
- And for both the acting and voice sessions
We will teach students what they need to know the day of…
- For the percussion section (for those who don’t have a primary instrument) And for the dance session
Through community and corporate support, The Shadowbox® Academy Summer Boot Camp is able to set tuition costs at $1,000 per student.
Students may offset this cost in one of the following ways…
- Full Scholarship Awards
- Half tuition/Half Scholarship Awards
- Half Scholarship Award /Half Work-Study
- Half Paid Tuition/Half Work-Study
Students can offset tuition costs and gain arts administration experience by working in the Shadowbox® offices two hours a day, four days a week, in a 10-week program that will cover half the tuition cost. Based on an administrative assessment, students will be assigned a primary responsibility, and will also be required to participate in general housekeeping and maintenance tasks.
The Shadowbox® Academy is in the midst of securing scholarships from local businesses and individuals to be awarded based on both merit and financial need.
Interested in sponsoring a scholarship? Click here!
Jake Mendel was among 12 students that comprised Shadowbox’s first Boot Camp class in 2010.
2 years later, he talks about his experience and how it has stayed with him ever since.
Congratulations Shadowbox® Academy Summer Boot Camp Participants!
2012 – SESSION 1
Jeremy Boyd, Caleb Caldwell, Kassie Couch, Alisha Coy, Kati Fridenmaker, Katerina Harris, Ayana Logan, Emily Schwerdtfeger, Kieran Vaught, Nick Wilson
2012 – SESSION 2
Justin Brent, Sermontee Brown, Chloe Cho, Kialiyah Hinton, Ashley Hutchinson, Sydnie Jones, Kathryn Lee, Ellison Luthy, Isabel Machado, Moriah Miller-Gnann, Taylor Mitchell, Eli Rousculp, Rachael Scott
The Shadowbox® Academy thanks its Academy Sponsors for their support!
Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams
Larry and Donna James
Laura Spears – Lion Real Estate Services
Paul Ricart Sr.
Rosen Family Fund ++
Saul Schottenstein Foundation-D ++++
Gregory S. Zanetos
Michael Rourke – Rourke & Blumenthal LLP
Educational Advisory Board
Art Director, Web Developer
eTech Ohio Commission
Tanya A. Curtain
Senior Vice President
Former University Academic Vice President and Professor
Currently Film Critic for WCBE 90.5 FM and Panelist for Fox 28′s Mind of a Man
Ron “Sax” Johnson
Advancing Community Engagement with Schools